On 24 November, the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) released a report Defending phone and internet accounts from fraudsters. The report shares finding on fraudsters being able to access phone and mobile accounts and conduct harmful activity. It explores consumers’ experiences of being conned by fraudsters and highlights how telco providers are working to combat fraudulent account access.
Based on investigations and complaints, the report names four common themes which contribute to fraudsters accessing telephone and mobile accounts:
- Weak security processes can help fraudsters gain access to telco accounts
- Fraudsters can exploit delayed responses by providers to breaches of account security
- Consumers can fall victim to a fraud if they don’t know what to look out for
- Fraudsters’ tactics and methods are constantly evolving
At the end of the report is a tip sheet for consumers (and one for telcos). You can download it here.
The TIO is hosting a 45-minute online conversation about the report on Thursday 16 December at 11am (AEST)
In this webinar, the TIO will share the:
• The findings of the report
• Recommendations to help people improve their account security
• Tips for assisting consumers affected by fraud
Individuals, organisations, and community groups are encouraged to take part in the conversation.
To secure your place, register now