The future of retirement income policy is up for discussion and debate tomorrow at Council on the Ageing’s (COTA) National Policy Forum, where politicians from both sides of the aisle, industry experts, academics and advocates will delve into the findings of the Retirement Income Review and suggest key features needed for a roadmap to an adequate, fair and sustainable retirement income system.
Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg will discuss the Retirement Income Review findings at the forum for the first time since the Final Report of the Review was released, as will all three members of the Review Panel.
COTA Chief Executive Ian Yates says the Forum is a critical opportunity to bring decision-makers and experts together to explore a policy foundation based on evidence, not partisan views.
“Retirement income is one of the biggest long-term policy challenges that will shape Australia for generations, and it starts with this year’s Federal Budget,” says Mr Yates.
“This isn’t just about superannuation. We will be examining every policy mechanism that contributes to our retirement system, from tax concessions to housing and the age pension. This Forum will guide the development of COTA’s policy proposals to government.
“Our current system is a good foundation, but it has significant problems in regard to adequacy, equity and long term costs. Different people get more or less than is fair out of the current policy settings, including too many still living in poverty. The time has come to put politics aside and build a system that provides every Australian with a fulfilling and dignified retirement.”
WHEN: 26 February, 9:45AM to 4:00PM
WHERE: National Press Club, and Online
WHO: Speakers include:
- A keynote address by Treasurer John Frydenberg
- Lunchtime presentations by Minister for Superannuation Jane Hume and Shadow Minister Stephen Jones
- The first appearance of the entire Retirement Income Review panel since its findings were released, with Chair Mike Callaghan AM and members Carolyn Kay and Dr Deborah Ralston
- Professor John Piggott AO, Director, ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research
- Brendan Coates, Program Director, Grattan Institute
- Jeremy Cooper, Challenger, and former Chair of the Review into Superannuation
- Peter Strong, CEO, Council of Small Business Organisations Australia
The full program with a listing of all our expert speakers is attached.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for media access.
Media contact: Ian Yates 0418 835 439; Hannah Craft 0423 377 965