Fifth update – 6 August 2021
Consumers and aged care peak bodies have revised the visitors code on 6 August 2021.
The revised code:
- has been updated to reflect recent advice requiring aged care workers to receive the vaccine by 17 September 2021;
- has introduced the term ‘Partners-in-Care’ into the Code (Principle 7) and encourages State and Territory Health Directives to include these types of visitor as ‘essential care visitors’;
- in response to the more virulent Delta outbreak, the revised Code has been re-endorsed by the Australian Health Principal Protection Committee (AHPPC);
- introduced a table of links to relevant advice and State and Territory Health Directives as at 5 August 2021.
A media release on the outcomes of the Code review is available here.
Frequently Asked Questions
As part of the review frequently asked questions have been developed to help residents, families, friends and industry understand the code.
The code has been translated into several languages, and is available via these links:
Concerns and feedback
For residents, carers, families and friends wishing to report concerns where the Code is not being effective in facilitating visits or any other feedback, please email: AgedCareVisitorsCode@cota.org.au, or call 1300 COTA AU (1300 268 228). For aged care providers and other industry stakeholders, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Developed and Endorsed by
The Industry Code for Visiting Residential Aged Care Homes during COVID-19 has been developed and endorsed by:
Consumer and Carers peak organisations
- Carers Australia
- Council on the Ageing (COTA) Australia
- Dementia Australia
- Federation of Ethnic Communities Council of Australia
- National Seniors Australia
- Older Persons Advocacy Network
Aged sector provider peak organisations
- Aged & Community Services Australia
- Aged Care Guild
- Anglicare Australia
- Baptist Care Australia
- Catholic Health Australia
- Leading Age Services Australia
- UnitingCare Australia
First review of the Code
The Code was reviewed in late May.
The review released a statement you can access here: Visitor Code Review 29 May 2020 – Statement
Second review of the Code
A second review of the code was released on 3 July.
The review released a statement you can access here: Visitor Code Review 3 July 2020 – Statement