The ‘Home Care Today’ project ran from 2013 to June 2017. COTA Australia continues to provide access to Home Care Today resources which were current at June 2017. However they are no longer monitored or updated, and information may not be current.
When choosing a provider, think about what’s is important to you. Here are some things to consider:
- What variety of services can they provide or source for you?
- How flexible are they? If they can’t provide something themselves, will they help you to find it somewhere else?
- Will they subcontract to workers you already receive care from so that you can continue with them?
- How often will you see or speak with your case manager or adviser? What is included in the case management fee?
- Can you choose how much or how little you are involved in self-managing your care plan and budget?
- What’s their reputation? You may ask to speak to one of their consumers already receiving care.
- What are the costs and charges for services, including case management, administration, hourly rates, exit fees, etc.?
- Will they negotiate how much you pay for the Basic Daily Fee?
- If you have specific cultural or language needs, do they have staff who speak your language?
You can download the ‘Choosing a Provider Checklist’ which has types of questions that may help you decide which provider best suits your needs.
View our page: Getting a Home Care Package